How to Optimise Your Website for Search Engine Ranking
So, you want your business to be successful online. You have a website, but you’re struggling to bring in any sort of traffic. In today’s digital age, the best solution to being visible on search engines such as Google, is to have a strong foundation built on SEO techniques.
SEO or “Search Engine Optimisation”, is fundamental to achieving both local and global online visibility. By incorporating techniques such as weaving high-quality keywords into your copy, adding links across your site, and regularly creating unique SEO enriched content, you can boost your online visibility dramatically.
4 Powerful SEO Tips to Use on Your Website
Ranking high on search engine results pages (SERPs) can be difficult if you’re new to SEO, but Imagefix’s top 4 SEO tips will get you started, and improve your ranking:
1. Build a Professional Looking Website
This should be the starting point for any business looking for a successful start in the online world. Having a good-looking website is vital in drawing in and retaining potential customers who are looking for your products/services. If your website looks like a something from the early 2000s, those customers will immediately click off and find for a more trustworthy looking competitor. So, what exactly can you do to craft an attractive website?
- Make sure it’s easy to navigate – Have clear sections for the different areas on your site – the menu bar/header, footer and body content should be easily definable, and easy to read. Use colours across your site that complement your brand and logo, but also allow the copy to breathe.
- Make sure it’s responsive – A responsive website is a website that has been specially optimised to appear equally attractive whether you view it from a desktop/laptop, tablet or mobile phone. Considering that now, over half of all web traffic is from a mobile phone, responsiveness is an important step to make in the design process.
- Make sure it loads fast – Nobody likes waiting for a webpage to load! If your website runs slow, this increases the bounce rate of customers leaving your site. Using a tool like Google Page Speed Insights, allows you to regularly check page speed across your website. Animations, large images and files, and poor hosting can exceedingly slow down your site, so a solution may be found from looking in these areas.
2. Research and Implement Powerful Keywords
Keyword research is one of the foundations of achieving a great SEO score. A ‘keyword’ or ‘keyphrase’ is a sequence of words which best describes your product, page or post. For example, your business may be an online sportswear retailer. The keyword you use might be something like ‘online sports clothing’. We can also use ‘long-tail’ keywords, which tend to be more specific keywords consisting of more words. in this instance, ‘online sports clothing’ might change to something like ‘buy women’s sports shoes online’. The specificity here means that you may find it easier to target a specific search intent with long-tail keywords.
We recommend using an SEO tool such as SE Ranking or SEMRush for keyword research. They allow you to search for keywords, give you similar keyword suggestions, organic results, SERP history, competitor analysis, and search volume. You can also see where you rank in search engines for the keywords you choose.
Integrating relevant high-volume keywords throughout your website copy will help Google to deliver your pages to online searchers. Keep in mind though, your website’s copy should be professionally written and easy to read, and don’t overuse keywords, as Google analyses their usage to make sure it is offering value to the reader.
3. Generate New Content Consistently
Google rewards updated, relevant content. Frequently creating new landing pages, blog posts, encourages Google to rank your content well. Every day people consume so much content, that it can be impossible to recall what we read a few months or even weeks back.
Consistently publishing new blogs increases the chances of people returning to your website for information. Alongside this comes a growing trust, the increased likelihood of it being shared online, and a higher domain authority than competitors who don’t post regularly.
Carefully researched, informative content that’s of value to your readers is highly prized. People are hungry for content that’s useful and up to date, so try to make each piece of content the exact thing your potential customers are looking for.
4. Use Internal and External Links
Adding links to other sites for your pages or blogs is an important SEO technique. Go to any website online, and you’ll most likely see links placed throughout their copy. Google regularly crawls through your website by following the links you have placed throughout. There are two types of links regularly used in web content creation:
- Internal links are links to other pages or blogs you have on your website. You may have a sentence in a blog highlighting another service you offer, so you’d add a link to the relevant page on your website.
- External links are links to pages from an external source. Maybe you have included some data in your post, and want to add a link to where you got the data from to back up your point. (be sure not to link to your competitors though!).
When you are writing your blog or page, look for opportunities where you can add in external and internal links into your copy. External links have been cited as one of the most important objectives for attaining a high ranking. They also help make your website a more valuable and scalable resource to incoming traffic, meaning people will likely return if they find something useful.
A good form of practice is setting external links to open in a new tab, so that the reader is still kept on site should the link take them elsewhere.
Ready to Increase Your Visibility Online?
The Imagefix digital marketing team includes SEO experts, keyword researchers, and content creators and web designers who will implement these techniques and more, to get your business flying up the search engine pages in Google and Bing.
Want to increase your search visibility online? To find out how we can help, contact Imagefix today on 01525 715608