What is PPC Marketing?
PPC stands for ‘pay-per-click’. It’s a type of marketing in which you pay each time your ad is clicked on. Also known as ‘paid search marketing’, it makes your business a whole lot easier to find online. And you’re saved from waiting around for your website ranking to get on the first page of Google organically. PPC gives you immediate exposure at the top of the search engine listings.
With 63,000 searches processed each second on Google alone, there’s an awful lot of search traffic available which could be finding its way to your website. In this blog the Imagefix team answers the question: ‘What is PPC marketing?’ and provides guidance on how to run a successful PPC campaign.
What is PPC Marketing?
align=”left”]You’re probably very familiar with PPC marketing, even if you don’t know exactly what it is. They tend to pop up when you’re looking for an item online. Suddenly you’ll start getting helpful suggestions appearing, and these are PPC ads. They’re used extensively on search engine pages and all the social media platforms.
How Does PPC Marketing Work?
Suppose you’ve placed a PPC ad on Google for your Valentine Day flower deliveries in Birmingham. Every time someone in the Birmingham area searches for Valentine Day flowers, or flower deliveries, your ad will appear at the top of the page. It’s easy to see how this immediately increases your chance of click-throughs to your site.
Each time there’s a click-through, you’ll pay a small fee to the search engine or social media channel. The idea is that the growth in sales generated by PPC ads, pays for the fees you pay out for clicks.
Creating a PPC Marketing Campaign
It takes time, and experience to get to grips with PPC advertising, so here’s a 6 step guide from the Imagefix specialists:
- Set a Budget. Start by deciding how much you’re willing to spend. The amount will be based on how much you think you can make from your campaign if it’s successful. Remember, PPC ads need a testing period, so you’ll need to allow them to run for a couple of months at least. Your PPC ad won’t exceed your set budget in the course of a month.
- Choose Your Keywords. PPC keywords need to be carefully researched in order to be relevant to your customers, to the ad, and to the search query. This is what the testing time is all about. You’ll learn which words and phrase work best for attracting searchers to your site.
- Create a Landing Page. Your PPC landing page is where your customer will ‘land’ when they click on the ad. So it needs to align closely to your keywords and provide the user with useful product information, a video maybe, and clearly indicated ways to buy.
- Create an Eye-Catching Ad. Your PPC ad needs relevant and eye-catching copy, that uses high-volume keywords.
- Decide on Targets. You can choose what your target will be. It could be a geographical location, an age group, a gender, mobile or desktop, or time-frame.
- Make Your Bid. What you pay for your choice of keywords determines the cost of your campaign. It’s affected by: the competition for keywords, the quality and relevance of your campaign and your click-through rate.
PPC can be an expensive business if you’re unfamiliar with the bidding process. Which is why lots of businesses use PPC agencies, or freelancers who have a proven track record for advertising online.
Is PPC Right For My Business?
If you’re running a promotion, and you’ve chosen the right keywords, PPC marketing makes an immediate impact on your business. Traffic to your website will shoot up, and sales will increase. The advantage of PPC is that ads are displayed to interested online searchers, at the moment they’re searching, with messaging that cuts through.
It’s not always about sales targets with PPC. For a new business that’s building their brand, PPC is about getting you noticed. The ads are positioned to catch the eye of interested users, and seeing your brand repeatedly will increase recognition and trust, making them more likely to click through to your site in the future.
Detailed Analytics for PPC & Organic Marketing
Getting to know your customer is the name of the game with online marketing, and PPC really helps you to do that. Every time you run a PPC campaign, you’ll receive detailed data relating to the people who clicked through, the best performing keywords and the number of clicks your ad attracted over all. This gives you all the information you need to inform your organic SEO strategy, and plan your next PPC campaign.
Are you new to PPC marketing? Would you find it useful to work with a team who can demonstrate how the process works in action? The specialist PPC marketing team at Imagefix has a wealth of knowledge to share. We can run a campaign for you, from start to finish, so that you are able to experience the process of keyword research, ad design, bidding, landing page design and A/B testing.
Hopefully we’ve answered the question: ‘What is PPC?’. If you’d like some advice, or you think we are the right fit to run a PPC campaign, call us today on 01525 715608 or message us online and we’ll get right back to you.